CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, September 14, 2007

comfort food

Okay . . . picture this really) worst-case scenario: It’s cold and raining, your boyfriend/girlfriend has just dumped you, you’ve just been fired, the pile of unpaid bills is sky-high, your beloved pet has recently died, and you think you’re coming down with a cold. All you want to do other than hiding under the covers) is to curl up with a good book, something warm and comforting that will make you feel better.

What do you read?

(Any bets on how quickly somebody says the Bible or some other religious text? A good choice, to be sure, but to be honest, I was thinking more along the lines of fiction…. unless I laid it on a little strong in the string of catastrophes? Maybe I should have just stuck to catching a cold on a rainy day….)

i often find myself reaching out for my comfort books whenever i feel depressed which, i think, constitute some 30 percent of my time.

when i read the question, two books came to mind. they are: charlie and the chocolate factory and harry potter and the sorcerers's stone. i like the writing styles of roald dahl and jk rowling. roald dahl is my favorite author. and though some might argue that the harry potter series is not really a very cheerful lot, i'd still say that harry's story, especially the first one, gives me comfort.

times like that, i'd go for some light reading thus roald dahl's books came to mind. truth is, i don't really mind if the first one that i have grabbed is matilda or the witches, as long as it is one of roald dahl children's classics. the good point about charlie and the chocolate factory is that i can almost smell and taste the chocolates, which in turn will make me grab /buy a chocolate and voila...intant happiness! hahaha...

of course, i don't recommend it if you are on a die-t...

other books i'd recommend:

robert fulghum's books
eoin colfer's artemis fowl series
edward eagers' children's stories

4 ang nakinig:

BookGal said...

Virtual chocolate and books .... great way to perk up a bad day.

Melody said...

Chocolates & tidbits are a must for me whenever I'm down!!!

Happy Friday!

Anonymous said...

Roald Dahl was a staple of my childhood, but I haven't revisited his work as an adult. Perhaps I should.

Chinggay said...

Wow, thanks for the comments. Yes, chocolates, accdg to Willy Wonka contains endorphins that gives you the feeling of being inlove hahaha... that's why its good for bad days...

Hurray for Roald Dahl!!!